Sunday, May 19, 2013

British History

BRITISH EMPIRE AND SEA POWER
1714 - 1837
The Union Jack








When I was a nipper
I boarded a clipperSailed the seas as a goods importer, oh! 
Edward Teach is my nameBut I earned my fameAs Blackbeard the pirate of the water, oh! 
Was a jolly chapWith a jaunty capAlways gave my crew good quarter, oh! But I'm best known forBlood and guts and goreAnd a vicious reign of murdering and slaughter, oh! 
Best known forBlood and guts and goreAnd a vicious reign of murdering and slaughter, oh! 
Left my home in BristolWith a sword and pistolBid a fond farewellTo old Blighty, oh! 
What my enemies fearedWas my thick, black beardWhich I always enjoyedSetting light to, oh! 
Once I had a thingFor a captive's lovely ringThat shone like a jewel in the nighty, oh! When the man said noI just said 'Oh! ' And chopped off his hand and said 'Rightio! '
Man said noHe said 'Oh! 'Chopped off his hand and said 'Rightio! ' 
Oh, I love to sail the oceanWith my flag that inspired emotionWith it's smiling pile of skull and bonesSmashing hearts with a violent stabbing motion
And I love to escape detectionAnd to win my crew's affectionWhich was nothing to do with the twelve guns he woreOn his belt that were for protection
I was awfully niceBut I had the odd viceWhich occasionally caused a commotionThe thing that I'd doWas shoot members of my crewIf they didn't show enough devotion
The thing he'd doWas shoot members of the crewIf they didn't show enough devotion
Once when very irateI shot my first mate, Israel HansFor a bit of pleasure, oh! And when my debt's grewKilled half of my crewTo increase my share of the treasure, oh! 
Was doing well thenSeemed to run out of menMy captives boarded at their leisure, oh! Smoted me deadThen cut off my headAnd displayed it on my mast for good measure, oh! 
Smoted him deadChopped off his headDisplayed it on the mast for good measure, oh!

No comments:

Post a Comment